Founder and Principal Physiotherapist
Not Just Bendy Hypermobility Services
Available for individual consultation
and online telehealth
Tarragindi, Brisbane, Australia
(07) 3342 4284
- Sharon Hennessey is the founder and principal of Not Just Bendy Hypermobility Services which became a business specifically targeted to those with issues associated with connective tissue disorders in 2020.
- Sharon completed her Physiotherapy degree, a Bachelor of Physiotherapy with concurrent research-based honors, at the University of Queensland in 1997. In the first five years of her career, Sharon worked in a diverse range of physiotherapy special interest areas including general hospital medical/surgical, intensive care, burns, paediatrics, women’s health, neurology, rheumatology, amputees, orthopaedics, hydrotherapy, inpatient/outpatient neuro-rehabilitation, gerontology, palliative care and musculoskeletal outpatients.
- Sharon has worked in major teaching hospitals in Brisbane, Australia and London, England as well as smaller rural based clinics and urban practices. As well as working in various hospital facilities, Sharon worked concurrently in musculo-skeletal outpatients/private practice for the first eight years of her career.
- In the more recent 15 years of her career she has worked solely in Brisbane in private physiotherapy practices and has been working at PhysioTec with Dr Alison Grimaldi since 2010. Not Just Bendy Hypermobility Services operates out of the PhysioTec building in Tarragindi.
- Sharon has a special interest treating those with hip, pelvic or groin pain. She has extensive experience in developing targeted rehabilitation programs and teaching pilates, use of real time ultrasound for muscle recruitment training, integrated dry needling approaches and more recently added the Compex muscle stimulator to her rehabilitation strategies.
- Sharon has a special passion for treating those with Hypermobility Spectrum Disorder and Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (H_EDS). She aims to achieve improvements for patients with individualized and paced exercise programs. Sharon uses a problem-solving approach to achieve goals and improve function in this often-complicated group of individuals.
- Sharon Hennessey has attended many courses and conferences about hypermobility including:
- 2014 Perth – Hypermobility Syndrome – Recognition & Management (Dr Jane Simmonds and Robyn Hickmott)
- 2014 Sydney – Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Conference (Connected Foundation)
- 2016 New York – International Professional Symposium on EDS when members of the International Consortium discussed their findings and recommendations prior to the planned publication in 2017 in the American Journal of Genetics (Ehlers-Danlos Society)
- 2018 Sydney – Ehlers-Danlos Society Learning Conference Patient and Professional days (Ehlers-Danlos Society)
- 2019 Brisbane – Marfan & Aortopathy Conference
- 2020 Online – EDS Echo Allied Health Program (Ehlers-Danlos Society) – ongoing attendance and presentation of clinical case studies
- 2020 Virtual EDS Echo Summit. A virtual scientific meeting on EDS, HSD, and co-morbidities
- Since 2015, Sharon has mentored other physiotherapists regarding evidence-informed care for this group of people and meets regularly with her team of physios for mentoring and training.
- Sharon Hennessey has also presented to the greater physiotherapy community on this topic at Australian Physiotherapy Association lecture evenings and provides mentoring and training to other physiotherapists on request.
- She is always interested in fostering relationships with other professionals who have a special interest in this field of connective tissue disorders. Sharon believes that a broad knowledge base is paramount in understanding her clients who present with a multi-faceted issue.
- With this in mind Sharon is very proactive with her approach to regular professional education, reviewing clinical research and adapting her treatment approach appropriately as new evidence emerges. Sharon is a member of the Australian Physiotherapy Association, a Hip Pain Professional and one of the directors of the Hip Pain Help website. Sharon has developed Notjustbendy.com and Not Just Bendy Hypermobility Services to improve the dissemination of practical education strategies to professionals treating hypermobility and the people who struggle with this condition on a daily basis. Sharon and her team members Dr X.Chen and Marlisa Kwan can be consulted in person in Brisbane or over telehealth.