Maria Yee Physiotherapist
Not Just Bendy Hypermobility Services
Available for individual consultation, home visits
and online telehealth
Tarragindi, Brisbane, Australia
(07) 3342 4284
- Maria obtained her Physiotherapy degree with first class honours from the University of Queensland in 2013. She began her physiotherapy career in the public system, and has experience rehabilitating cardiorespiratory, orthopaedic, neurological, critical care, and geriatric conditions. She then specialized in musculoskeletal and sports injuries within the outpatients department, mentoring younger staff and supervising physiotherapy students. Maria also led a team in creating a knee osteoarthritis mobile app, a lower back pain educational website, and also spearheaded community and intra-hospital rehabilitation outreach events.
- Since leaving the public sector, Maria has worked in physiotherapy clinics in Singapore, Newcastle, and Brisbane, treating musculoskeletal and neurological conditions across the lifespan, from sporting injuries to post-surgical rehabilitation, as well as participants under the NDIS.
- Maria has a special interest in dance injury prevention, rehabilitation, and optimizing performance, having trained in classical ballet, chinese dance, jazz, tap and contemporary genres. She worked with established professional contemporary and ballet companies including Les Misérables (Australia), Singapore Dance Theatre, and T.H.E dance company, before finding a passion for the pre- and adolescent dance population. She has since worked closely with dance students from various studios including the National College of Dance, Queensland Ballet Academy, and Kick Dance. Maria has also presented her research findings on the anthropometry of ballet dancers’ at the International Association of Dance Medicine and Science conference in Switzerland.
- Maria first developed curiosity for hypermobility while studying in Physiotherapy school. Her ex-ballet classmates who were then training to be professional dancers were reporting patella and shoulder dislocations, and she got busy practicing strapping their joints up. A further appreciation of the complex multifaceted nature of hypermobile-related conditions led her to present a professional development lecture to the hospital’s physiotherapy department to improve awareness, faster diagnosis, and better treatment for hypermobile clients.
- Maria enjoys learning from peers and mentors, and believes that life-long continual development is absolutely essential for being a good physiotherapist! She has visited and observed head physiotherapists at the Australian Ballet school, Queensland Ballet, New Zealand Ballet school, and Western Australia Ballet, and taken courses in foot and ankle injuries with Susan Mayes of the Australian Ballet. Just this year, she completed Trish Wisbey-Roth’s Hip differential diagnosis and prescriptive exercise course through the APA, and unintentionally met Sharon while at a hypermobility management course for children!
- Special interests and skills:
– Hypermobility related conditions in the pre-adolescent and adolescent age groups– Musculoskeletal conditions of the hip and foot
– Clinical Pilates (individual or small group supervised sessions)– Dry needling– Dance conditioning and rehabilitation
Join the Team at Not Just Bendy Hypermobility Services
Exciting opportunities exist for qualified therapists – Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Exercise Physiologists are all needed for our team today.
Join our newsletter!
Stay up to date with our blogs and latest info by signing up to our newsletter.